Thursday, January 22, 2009

How many times a day do YOU cry?

*Edited to note that this post has been on the "back burner" for a while and did not actually occur THIS Tuesday. I am slow.

I don't think that I was the only American bawling their eyes out on Tuesday when they watched President Obama take his oath. The feeling of pride swelled in my heart and leaked through my eyes. However, I was still crying the next day. I thought that I would try to keep track of how many times a day my tear ducts overflowed and for what reasons.

Wednesday's tear activity:

1. Watching oath footage on tv while drinking my morning coffee. (6:30 am)

2. Watching footage of President Obama and the First Lady dance at the balls while checking my email after my shower. (7:30 am)

3. Reading the Argonaut and learning that friends may be affected by coming department cutbacks. (10:30 am)

4. Watching a video in my American Studies class about the horrible treatment of Native Americans by "the white man." (11:30 am)

5. Reading a friend's blog about her sweet beautiful baby being poked by needles. (5:00 pm)

6. When my friend told me how proud she was of me for getting on the graduation track for this spring. (6:00 pm)

SIX times in one day! This number is probably a little high for me, but very close to a typical day. Most of these times were "quick! Look up at the ceiling and blink my eyes really fast to make the pools of tears on my eyelids drain away before anyone sees me" cries, but one or two were "tears streaming down my cheeks" cries.

Is this normal? Do any of you find yourselves tearing up at every little thing? Or am I just a big sentimental pile of goo?

No comments: