Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Picture Day

I don't have fond memories of picture days back in grade school. The braces, funny haircuts, goofy clothes. The nervous anticipation on the days leading up to it and then waiting to see how they would turn out. Would my eyes be closed? Would I have spinach in my teeth? Would I look like a dweeb? Would the disgust I was feeling for the creepy photographer guy show on my face? Dude. You really aren't funny. Find some new, less creepy lines. Ok?

If you have been following my blog, I'm sure that you have noticed a theme of self-consciousness and a lack of self-love. Needless to say, I absolutely hate to have my picture taken. I have one hanging in my living room, but it was taken when I was two...and cute. I realized recently that I should probably have one of Teddy and I together. Ugh.

I decided to bite the bullet. Pull the band-aid off in one swift motion. Face the music.

I was going to have my picture taken.

Thankfully, my lovely downstairs neighbor, Miya, is a photographer. She takes gorgeous photos. I had been eyeing her website for a while trying to get up the nerve to ask her to take some pictures of us. I shot her an email last week, and she graciously agreed to help us out. I was so nervous that I actually thought about bailing out several times. Miya and her husband, Roy, took us to the Arboretum at the University of Idaho on Saturday for a photo session. The rain held off long enough for her to take quite a few shots. It was a fairly painless experience and actually quite pleasant. Miya made us both feel comfortable and didn't use any of the creepy photographer lines that I remember from my childhood. The gallant Roy even used his shirt sleeve to wipe the rain off the bench so that we wouldn't get our bums wet. :)

I waited nervously for the next day and a half even though she told me it would be two days before I got the pictures. "Why hasn't she sent them to me, yet? I look hideous, don't I? She's afraid to show them to me. Oh no! Why did I think I could do this? Eek!"

Then yesterday, I found a CD on my door. The moment of truth had arrived. I stuck the disk into my computer and waited for them to come up. Oh...my...holy...Hannah. They were beautiful! Miya had perfectly captured our little family. I cried. (I know, I know. Surprise, surprise.) I couldn't have asked for anything better. Thank you, Miya!










If you liked these, and I know you did, check out Miya's website. http://www.miyaphotography.net/Welcome.html

I would definitely recommend her work. Aren't you about due for a family portrait? Hmm?

She also has a little Etsy shop where she sells these amazing smelling soaps that she makes and some pretty crocheted hats and scarves. Stop in for a look. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5570309

2 comments:

♥Miya said...

That's Roy for ya. As I always say, "What a MAN!!!" and then swoon dramatically. That's why I bring him along. You never know when you might need something manly done! :D

Ugh, I hated school photographers!!! Although I had a hilarious experience once, remember when I said that for a brief period I had four upper canines? I remember sitting there in an awful pink kitty sweater and tights with a cliche tie-dye blue background and the photographer saying, "Come on, Princess, let's see those pearly whites!" because I wouldn't smile with my teeth. So I flashed him a huge grin and when he saw my freakish chompers he said, "Oh, um, how about you just do what you were doing before actually." LOL!

♥Miya said...

HEY! We're both in Literary Genres this semester! I saw the message that you posted on Blackboard last week and I was spacing out at the time, so it didn't hit me until just now that it was you :P