
Pickle lost a tooth last night. It was his eigth baby tooth that has been pulled to make room for his big grown up teeth. He had been wiggling it for several weeks, but wasn't making much progress. One of his new front teeth was coming in in front of it, and I decided last night that it was time to do some major "heave ho-ing." He let me try for a little while, but then wanted to work on it himself. I was reading to him in bed when all of a sudden, he thrust his bloody palm in front of my face and in it sat a little white baby tooth. This was the first one that he had pulled out all by himself. He was so excited!
The Tooth Fairy has been leaving him "gold" Sacajawea dollars for each tooth that he loses, but last night I had to leave him a paper dollar because I didn't have any gold ones left. He came in to my room this morning to show me his loot. He crawled up into my bed and snuggled up beside me.
"Mom...it's you, isn't it?"
Wait! What?!
"You are the Tooth Fairy, aren't you?"
Um.... "What do you mean, Pickle? What makes you say that?"
"Well. There's no such thing as fairies, Mom."
Tears welled up in my eyes. Is it really time for this talk? My little boy is just a baby. I'm not ready for him to grow up. I'm not ready for this magic to be gone. But maybe HE is.
We snuggled in bed and talked for a while. We talked about the Easter Bunny. Santa Clause.
He didn't get upset. I almost wanted him to be sad, but he acted so grown up and mature about the whole thing. I am so proud to be the mother of such an amazing young man.
At least I don't have to lie to him anymore, right?
Sigh.

4 comments:
Awww, that made me tear up! I can't believe you already had that talk, its a pretty huge talk. No Santa or Easter Bunny anymore?
He's a smart kiddo. Sounds like you handled it good mama, great post!
Santa Claus too? Noooooooooooo!
What are you talking about no Santa Claus????
When I was a kid, I had four canines because my adult teeth decided they wanted out before my baby teeth were ready, so out they came, right above the baby ones!
I like to tell myself I never believed in all that kid stuff about the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny, but unfortunately I'm stuck with the memory of telling my mom "I CAN'T go to bed now! If I don't finish this poem for the Easter Bunny he'll think I don't like him!!"
Post a Comment